Thursday, October 21, 2010

So I'm working on the sequel to WS, right?

First draft is going great. The scenes are practically writing themselves. My characters resent me a little bit for ignoring them during my foray into flash fiction these past few weeks, but they're willing to let it slide because they've been cooped up inside for too long and some exercise would really do them good.

So, just as the ink dries on one of the early chapters, I realize: this book doesn't have a name.

This is a problem for me. It's hard for me to work on a project that doesn't have a name. If it doesn't have a name, it doesn't exist, and if it doesn't exist, well then what exactly is this combination of ink and paper I'm looking at? I have a tentative title lined up for the third book, but nothing for the new baby brother-and-or-sister of Wandering Stars.

Well, don't I have any ideas at all? Of course I do. But none of them really 'fit', they're all acceptable (well, not all of them: one of the titles I rejected was I Couldn't Think of What to Call This but It's Good so Read It Anyway: The Wandering Stars Saga), but nothing grabs me and says "this is your book's name."

 This is a problem. That placeholder title won't hold up forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment